- 1) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Great Cumbray, Isle and county of Bute; containing 444 inhabitants. It is seated at the head of a capacious and finelysheltered harbour, called Kames bay, where vessels of considerable burthen may have safe anchorage at the depth of six feet at low water: the bay opens southward into Fairley road. Millport, the chief village in the island, lies at a very short distance on the west.2) NEWTON, a hamlet, in the parish of KirkpatrickFleming, county of Dumfries; containing 34 inhabitants.3) NEWTON, a parish, in the county of Edinburgh, 2 miles (N. W.) from Dalkeith; containing, with the villages or hamlets of Adamsrow, Claybarns, Edmonstone, New Engine, Old Engine, Easter and Wester Millerhill, Pentecox, Redrow, Sherriffhall-Engine, and Squaretown, and the hamlet of Backdean, 1743 inhabitants. This parish, including the old parish of Woolmet, united with it at the Reformation, is about two miles in length and a mile and a half in breadth; comprising an area of 1256 acres, nearly the whole of which are under profitable cultivation. The surface is generally level, and the soil fertile; the scenery is finely varied, and the tract of country between this place and Edinburgh abounds with interesting features. The substratum is chiefly coal, of which there are several mines in extensive operation; and freestone is found at a great depth below the surface, but no regular quarries have yet been opened. In the strata of coal occur various geological specimens, some of which are very beautiful. The collieries have been worked for more than a century, and afford employment to about 1000 of the population. The rateable annual value of the parish is £9739. Edmonstone House, the seat of John Wauchop, Esq., is a handsome modern mansion, situated in an ample demesne tastefully laid out, and embellished with thriving plantations. Newton House, also of modern erection, is a neat mansion pleasantly seated; and Woolmet House, an ancient mansion, retaining much of its original character, is also a pleasant residence. There are several villages, chiefly inhabited by persons engaged in the coal-mines, of which the principal are Edmonstone, Easter Millerhill, Wester Millerhill, and Adamsrow; and various small hamlets, among which are Little France and Sheriffhall. Some others, from the exhaustion of the mines wherein the inhabitants were employed, have become extinct. The Edinburgh and Dalkeith railway intersects the parish.The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Dalkeith and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; patron, Mr. Wauchop. The minister's stipend is £148.3., with £4. 8. 10. for communion elements, and a rent-charge of £5.11.2. on lands in Edmonstone, a manse, a glebe valued at £20 per annum, and the interest of capital paid for the purchase of the coal under the glebe, producing £115. 6. 4., and making the whole income equivalent to £293. 9. 4. per annum. The church, rebuilt, with the exception of the ancient tower, in 1742, and repaired and reseated in 1819, is a neat structure, but containing only 430 sittings. Owing to the accommodation being thus limited, and from the great expense of increasing it by enlargement, it was lately in contemplation to raise a new church; but none has been erected. The chapel at Edmonstone is a handsome structure in the later English style, now used, however, only as a mausoleum by the Wauchops. The parochial school, to which a good library is attached, is well conducted, and is attended by about 180 children; the master has a salary of £34. 4., with a house and garden; and the fees, with other perquisites, average £100, part arising from the interest of money paid for the coal discovered under his garden.4) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Glammis, county of Forfar, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Kirriemuir; containing 105 inhabitants. This village is situated in the north-western part of the parish, and on the high road from Meigle to Forfar. The Dean river flows at a short distance on the north.5) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Pencaitland, county of Haddington, 1 mile (S.) from Penston; containing 168 inhabitants. It lies in the northern part of the parish, and, as its name implies, is of recent origin, having been built for the accommodation of the numerous persons employed in the collieries of the district. A school for the instruction of the children of the colliers has been for some time established here; the master receives an annual donation from Lady Ruthven and the lessee of the collieries, in addition to the fees, by which he is chiefly supported.6) NEWTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Wiston and Roberton, Upper ward of the county of Lanark; containing 48 inhabitants.7) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Abercorn, county of Linlithgow, 2 miles (W. by S.) from South Queensferry; containing 250 inhabitants. This village is situated in the eastern part of the parish, on the high road from South Queensferry to Linlithgow; and is a small place, in which are a few shops. On the farm of Newton, in its vicinity, is a limestone quarry, the stone is of a dark grey colour, but becomes pure white when calcined, and is extremely friable in the process of burning.8) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Urquhart and Wester Logie, county of Nairn; containing 118 inhabitants. This place is situated in the detached portion of the county of Nairn surrounded by the county of Ross and Cromarty, and not far distant from the town of Dingwall.9) NEWTON, a village, in the parish of Mearns, Upper ward of the county of Renfrew, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Neilston; containing 629 inhabitants. This village, which is a burgh of barony, and has the right of holding a weekly market and two annual fairs, is situated on the road from Glasgow to Kilmarnock, in the north-eastern part of the parish, and consists of two rows of houses, about half a mile distant from the church. The inhabitants are partly employed in agriculture, and in the printing of calico, for which there are some large printfields at Wellmeadow and Netherplace, in the immediate vicinity. The market, if ever held, has been long discontinued; and one fair only, of no importance, takes place. A penny-post has been established under the office at Glasgow, and there is an excellent inn on the high road.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Newton — is a contraction of New Town , the name of many places in English speaking countries. It may refer to: Contents 1 People 2 Science and technology 3 Places … Wikipedia
Newton OS — Company / developer Apple Inc. Working state Historic Source model Closed source … Wikipedia
Newton — bezeichnet: Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), britischer Physiker – dort auch zu Nachbenennung Newton (Familienname) – weitere Namensträger siehe dort Newton (Toponym), zahlreiche Siedlungen und andere geografische Objekte, sowie astronomische… … Deutsch Wikipedia
NEWTON (I.) — L’œuvre de Newton constitue sans conteste le plus grand moment de la science moderne telle qu’elle s’est constituée après la Renaissance; elle couronne les travaux exceptionnellement riches d’une pléiade de mathématiciens et de physiciens de… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Newton — Newton, NJ U.S. town in New Jersey Population (2000): 8244 Housing Units (2000): 3425 Land area (2000): 3.097314 sq. miles (8.022006 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.005567 sq. miles (0.014419 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.102881 sq. miles (8.036425… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
newton — [ njutɔn ] n. m. • v. 1950; n. pr. ♦ Métrol. Unité de mesure de force (symb. N), correspondant à une accélération de 1 m/s2 communiquée à une masse de 1 kg. Newton mètre : unité de mesure de moment d une force (symb. Nm). ● newton nom masculin… … Encyclopédie Universelle
newton — NEWTON, newtoni, s.m. Unitate de măsură pentru forţă în sistemul de unităţi metru kilogram secundă, egală cu forţa care imprimă unui corp de 1 kg o acceleraţie de 1 m pe secundă. [pr.: nĩúton] – Din fr. newton, germ. Newton. Trimis de ana zecheru … Dicționar Român
Newton  — Newton (spr. Njut n), 1) Stadt in der englischen Grafschaft Cheshire an der Liverpool Manchester Eisenbahn, in welche hier die Grand Junction Bahn einmündet; Talico , Seiden u. Baumwollenmanufacturen, Chemische Fabriken; 6000 Ew.; 2) Ort auf der… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Newton OS — операционная система для Apple Newton PDA, который выпускался компанией Apple в 1993 1997 годах. Newton OS была полностью написана на С++. Отличалась низким потреблением электроэнергии и продуктивным использованием доступной оперативной памяти,… … Википедия
Newton OS — Newton OS, das Betriebssystem zu den Newton Modellen von Apple (Newton) … Universal-Lexikon
Newton, AL — U.S. town in Alabama Population (2000): 1708 Housing Units (2000): 790 Land area (2000): 14.296976 sq. miles (37.028997 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.028413 sq. miles (0.073590 sq. km) Total area (2000): 14.325389 sq. miles (37.102587 sq. km) FIPS … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places